Will my council allow a tiny house?


One of the main advantages of Tiny Home living is that, depending on the installation, tiny homes can be classified as a caravan instead of a class 1 building. This classification may mean that you can bypass the need for a building permit and or planning approval; although it is important to check with your council before relying on this information.



We contacted the majority of councils in Victoria and asked them the following questions.

Can I park/store a tiny house on my property?

Can I sleep in my tiny house?

If so, For how long before I need a permit?.


We’ve listed their responses below




[supsystic-tables id=1]

Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the figures shown in this table, the results should be used as an indication only. Before relying on this material for any important matter, users should carefully evaluate its accuracy, currency, completeness and relevance to their purposes, and should obtain any appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances. Results received from this calculator are designed for comparative purposes only, and accuracy is not guaranteed. www.mobihomes.com.au does not guarantee the accuracy of any information available on this site, and is not responsible for any errors, omissions, or misrepresentations.